Friday 4 March 2022

Has spring sprung?

Early March usually throws a few bright sunny days at us and then plunges us back to winter. This year has been no exception. Winter birds are still with us and summer arrivals are still in Africa. The garden produced a siskin which is par for March and there are still at least three blackcaps squabbling over food. 

I submitted my Birdwatch Ireland garden bird survey which had no real surprises. Blackbirds (9), goldfinch (12), chaffinch (9) and linnet (9) topped the poll, while I managed single sightings of sparrowhawk, goldcrest, wren, siskin, house sparrow and song thrush.  I also had bullfinch and greenfinch sporadically The format is different from the RSPB one hour blitz. It lasts for three months and you record each week the highest number of each bird species observed. The count resets on Monday so each week is a clean start with something to look out for. In total I recorded 27 species from December to February. 

Female siskin

Ditto

Blackcap (M)

Blackcap(F)

Maximum count of these guys was 12

I have not walked the coastal path since my return from England due to falling in snow in Bolton and cracking a rib. Not recommended if you have never done it. The doctor says I should listen to my body and my body told me not to be daft and act my age!! I can sit in a hide and drink coffee but walking is still a bit painful. Hopefully I'll manage short walks in a week or two. 

The upshot of this enforced inactivity is that the North Down patch has not moved much, neither has the 2022 list, so it is all down to WOW for a bit of excitement. Water levels remain high as it has been a bit wet and it is too risky to lower it and risk it drying out - I'm glad I don't have to make the decisions. This week we had all sorts of excitement with a goldeneye showing well. They winter in the Lough but no one can remember ever seeing one in the reserve. There were also 2 ruff, 2 little grebes and a wide selection of ducks, waders and gulls, including a stonking Mediterranean gull throwing it's weight around the islands and threatening the 558 black-headed gulls which are in to nest. I managed 37 species with no feeders up for tits and finches. Two greylag at Kinnegar were also an addition to the list. We also had a monster ship sailing out. This Russian owned tanker was in for repair and was causing questions to be asked as to whether it was allowed to be here. Today it cut short the debate by sailing out. 

Goldeneye

Large boat

Yes the wee boat is a Stena ferry

Med preening

Med posing

Lord of all I survey

2022

111: Black grouse
112: Mediterranean gull

North Down 
49: Wren

Belfast RSPB
59: Pintail
60: Greylag goose
61: Ruff
62: Mediterranean gull







No comments:

Post a Comment